Since hiring a car in Rwanda involves something valuable, there are some criteria and credentials one has to meet in order to enjoy the services. The client must have proof that he is fit to drive a car, identify themselves, be able to pay for liabilities in case of any damages caused to the car, and also be trustworthy.
To hire a car in Rwanda, you will typically need to meet the following requirements:
- Valid driver’s license: You must have a valid driver’s license from your home country or an international driver’s license. The driving permit acts as evidence that you are eligible to drive a car.
- Minimum age: The minimum age for renting a car in Rwanda is usually 21 years old. However, some rental companies may require drivers to be at least 25 years old. The age cap is in place to only allow credible and serious people to hire the car. 25 years is proved to be the age when a person can have full control of their life and desire and also be able to adhere to rules and regulations set out.
- Insurance: It is important to have insurance coverage for your rental car. Most rental companies provide insurance coverage for their vehicles, but you should confirm this before renting a car. The car insurance policy held by most rental companies is usually the comprehensive one that covers third-party, theft, and collision damage waiver. There is an option of paying for excess insurance to be completely galvanized against any liability that could happen to the vehicle.
- Credit card: You will need a valid credit card to pay for your rental car. Some rental companies may accept debit cards, but it’s best to check with the company before making a reservation.
- Reservation: It’s important to make a reservation in advance to ensure the availability of the vehicle you want. You can do this online or by contacting a rental company directly. Back it up by making a confirmation. Some companies may request to make a full amount deposit of the rental fees while others a certain percentage and others can opt to make the payment at the pickup of the car.
- Valid travel documents: If you are a foreigner, you will need a valid passport and a visa if required to enter Rwanda.
- Additional requirements: Some rental companies may have additional requirements, such as a minimum rental period, or additional fees for additional drivers, or for dropping off the car at a different location.
It’s always a good idea to check with the car rental company directly when hiring a car in Rwanda to confirm their specific requirements and any additional fees or restrictions that may apply.